Welcome to Zhen Xiang’s homepage!
I am a postdoc affiliated with the Secure Learning Lab (SLL) led by Prof Bo Li at the Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. I received my B.E. in Electronics and Computer Engineering from Hong Kong University of Science and Technology in 2014, my M.S. in Electrical Engineering from University of Pennsylvania, and my Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from Pennsylvania State University supervised by Prof David J. Miller and Prof George Kesidis in 2022.
I work on trustworthy machine learning, with the main focus on backdoor attacks and defenses. My long-term goal is to develop theory-based defense approaches and security standards for safety-sensitive applications.
I will be on the job market 2023/2024!
- 9/2023: Our paper CBD: A Certified Backdoor Detector Based on Local Dominant Probability is accepted by NeurIPS 2023!
- 7/2023: Our paper MMBD: Post-Training Detection of Backdoor Attacks with Arbitrary Backdoor Pattern Types Using a Maximum Margin Statistic is accepted by IEEE S&P 2024!
- 7/2023: We are organizing The Trojan Detection Challenge 2023 (LLM Edition).
- 5/2023: Our paper UMD: Unsupervised Model Detection for X2X Backdoor Attacks is accepted by ICML2023!
- 4/2023: Our book Adversarial Learning and Secure AI is accepted by the Cambridge University Press and will be released in December 2023.
- 12/2022: We are organizing the first IEEE Trojan Removal Competition.